The Evolution Of The Female Sex Symbol Over 100 Years
The notion of a female sex symbol has changed a lot over the last century. Here are 24 of the most famous sex symbols from every decade, starting in the 1890s up until today.
1. Before the turn of the 20th Century, this is what was considered a sex symbol. Things have changed a little since then.
2. Evelyn Nesbit was the original Suicide Girl (1900s).
3. Theda Bara (most famous for her role as Cleopatra) was considered the world’s first movie sex symbol (1910s).
4. Pola Negri was a Polish born actress (1920s).
5. Marlene Dietrich was a German actress and singer (1930s).
6. You might remember Rita Hayworth from The Shawshank Redemption (1940s).
7. Marilyn Monroe is the reason that the term ‘sex symbol’ exists (1950s).
8. Raquel Welch is most famous for her scantily clad performance in One Million Years B.C. (1960s).
9. Brigitte Bardot was a French born actress, singer and fashion model (1960s).
10. Ursula Andress is one of the most iconic Bond girls in history (1960s).
11. Farrah Fawcett is the most famous of Charlie’s Angels (1970s).
12. Catherine Bach is most famous for playing Daisy Duke in The Dukes of Hazzard (1970s).
13. Kelly LeBrock is best known for the movie Weird Science (1980s).
14. Bo Derek was definitely a perfect ten (1980s).
15. Nastassja Kinski poses with a snake (1980s).
16. Kate Moss is still a major sex symbol and fashion icon (1990s).
17. Cindy Crawford’s Pepsi commercial put her on the map as a sex symbol in a big way (1990s).
18. Monica Bellucci just gets better with age (2000s).
19. Kelly Brook is an English actress, model and TV presenter (2000s).
20. Jessica Alba gets her exotic looks from a Danish mother and a Mexican father (2000s).
21. Scarlett Johansson is an award winning actress (2000s).
22. The internet went crazy after seeing Kate Upton in her Cat Daddy video (2010s).
23. Blake Lively is married to male sex symbol Ryan Reynolds (2010s).