22 Unbelievable Facts About The Human Body. #8 Will Astonish You!
1. The focusing muscles in your eyes move around 100,000 times per day. To put this into perspective, you would have to walk 50 miles to give your legs the same workout!
2. Your belly button is home to so much bacteria that it can form the ecosystem of an entire rainforest! A recent study discovered 2,368 species of bacteria, 1,458 of which may be new to science
3. In your lifetime you will produce about 25,000 quarts of spit. This is enough to completely fill up two swimming pools!
4. Our noses can identify over 50,000 different scents.
5. Red blood cells can travel throughout your entire body within 20 seconds.
6. Our eyes are so sensitive that if the Earth were flat, we could see a candle from about 30 miles away.
7. Around 90% of our cells are not of “human” origin. Our cells originate mostly from fungi and bacteria.
8. We are much more powerful than we know. Our strength is limited to protect our tendons and muscles from harming themselves. These strength limitations are removed during an adrenaline rush, during which people have been known to lift cars and boulders.
9. An adult is made up of 7,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (7 octillion) atoms.
10. Our eyes can distinguish up to 10 million different colors and take in more information than any telescope.
11. We are the best long distance runners on the planet! Humans are so good at this that we used to chase our prey until they died of exhaustion.
12. Our bodies actually glow in the dark, but the light we emit is 1,000 times weaker than what our eyes can detect.
13. Babies have 60 more bones than adults do.
14. When we are in love, we release the same neurotransmitters and hormones that are released in amphetamines.
15. We share 50% of our DNA with bananas!
16. The human brain can produce enough electricity to power a lightbulb.
17. In our lifetime we will spend about 10% of our waking life with our eyes blinking and closed.
18. The strongest muscle in the human body is our jaw muscle, the masseter.
19. This one will blow your mind: If the human brain were a computer, it could perform 38 thousand-trillion operations per second. The world’s most powerful supercomputer, BlueGene, can manage only .002% of that.
20. Your body produces 25 million new cells each second. Every 13 seconds, you produce more cells than there are people in the United States.
21. Our brains can read up to 1,000 words per minute.
22. We shed about 40 pounds of skin in our lifetime.