20 Things That Happened In 2006 That Will Make You Feel Ancient
So 2006 isn’t that long ago right? Right?! No, it is. It’s ages ago, ten whole years to be exact. Pop culture looked very, very different back then, and we’ll go over some of the most important milestones, just so everyone’s clear on how long ago 2006 actually was…
1. Nicole Richie, Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton were the number one Hollywood it-girls. They were also all arrested several times.
2. Paris Hilton could do whatever she wanted, including bringing her ferret to the red carpet.
3. Britney Spears and Kevin Federline got divorced after two long years of marriage…
Yeah, we don’t agree with that fedora either.
…That was only year after their reality show Chaotic…
…And a year before, well, this happened.
4. Taylor Swift’s very first album was released. She didn’t have a Victoria’s Secret squad back then, just a perm and a lot of butterflies.
5. Rihanna had just released “S.O.S.”, and she wore that green dress in the video. She was a rising star and only 18-years-old.
6. It was also the year everyone freaked out about High School Musical.
7. Consequently, everyone freaked out about Vanessa Hudgens and Zac Efron.
8. The OC was still on air. It wouldn’t finish until a year after.
9. Unfortunately, it was also the year Seth and Summer aka Adam Brody and Rachel Bilson called it quits…
…And then Adam Brody married Rachel Bilson’s exact double Leighton Meester and had baby Arlo Day.
10. It was a year for break-ups, because it was also the year Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe ended their seven year marriage.
11. However, it was also the year of love. Ryan Reynolds and Alanis Morissette were still madly in love and engaged.
12. It was also ten years ago that Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise tied the knot at their star-studded wedding.
13. The happy news continued in 2006, with Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt welcoming little Shiloh into the world. However, there was heartbreak for all those feeling for Jennifer Aniston.
14. O.J. released his infamous book If I Did It.
15. It was the year of young actors getting their big break, like Miley Cyrus. Hannah Montana aired its first episode in 2006.
16. The main cast of Harry Potter got older too. They were all mere teenagers in 2006, with Emma Watson just turning 16.
17. No one had even heard of the Kardashians, and Kim could have easily been mistaken for a Jersey Shore cast member. Here are Kylie, Kim and Kendall in 2006, a year before the infamous sex tape came out.
18. No one had even heard of Lady Gaga or Katy Perry.
19. The fantastic film Little Miss Sunshine came out in 2006, starring a ten-year-old Abigail Breslin.