20 Crazy Scientific Facts That Will Legitimately Blow. Your. Mind.
1. Right now, the earth (and you) is spinning at 1,000 miles per hour, and hurtling through space at 67,000 miles per hour.
2. Scallops have as many as 100 eyes, and usually, they’re all blue.
3. 65% of autistic children are left handed.
4. Scientists have decided: the chicken came first.
5. On Venus it snows metal. Two types have been found, and they’re called galena and bismuthinite.
6. Plants have families. Although they can’t remember their loved ones, the recognise close relatives and work alongside them to grow stronger.
7. An asteroid doesn’t have to hit earth to cause real problems.
In 1908 an asteroid broke up at 28,000 feet, but its shockwave reached the earth with the power of 150 H-bombs. It destroyed an 800 mile area of Siberian forest.
8. The deepest part of the ocean is 25 Empire State Buildings deep, or 36,200 feet.
9. If you drilled a hole through the earth and jumped in, it would take 42 minutes to fall to the other side (provided gravity played along).
10. “Sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia” is the technical name for brain freeze.
11. Geophysicists have found a way to turn peanut butter into diamond gemstones.
12. A mollusc was the world’s oldest creature at 507 years old, until scientists accidentally killed it.
13. Sharks can live for 100 years.
14. If you could drive directly up in a straight line, you’d reach space in just over an hour.
15. A medium sized cumulus cloud weighs around the same as 800 elephants.
16. Russia has a bigger surface area than pluto.
17. Seahorses don’t have stomachs, just intestines with which they absorb their food.
18. A handshake transfers more germs than a kiss. So, if you have a cold, you’re less like to pass it on by kissing than you are by handshaking.
19. While reading this sentence, approximately a billion neutrinos from the sun passed through you.